Friday, October 05, 2007

Day 9: Prayers around the world

One of the many blessings I have experienced during 40
Days for Life is reading the 3-400 e-mails I get every
day from people across America who are calling out to
God and asking Him to hear our prayer, forgive our
nation's sin of abortion, and heal our land.

Here are just two examples from the last few hours:

1.) "I am in my 8th day of fasting on bread and water.
Never before has this been possible... I offer it
all up for my brothers and sisters in Christ who
are out there on the front line duty. Also, when
the temptation is really severe, I offer it up to
save a child and its mother from the death of
abortion."

2.) "I am a post abortive woman who lives on the
Oregon coast. The closest vigil is about 2 1/2
hours away. I own a small business, so it's
pretty hard for me to get away during the week.
On the weekends during the 40 days, I am giving
my testimony at a Pregnancy Care Center annual
dinner and at several Masses. Two other weekends
I have team meetings for our upcoming Rachel's
Vineyard Retreat for post abortive healing.

"With all of these apparent roadblocks, I wasn't
sure what, if anything, I could really do during
the 40 Days. I knew I could pray, but I really
wanted to do something more. I decided to fast
from my laziness. I've been walking on the beach
every day & praying as I walk. It is awesome.

"I usually take my Scottie dog with me (her name
is Miss Grace). Yesterday I didn't want to take
the dog as she'd been at the groomers & was all
hot & warm. It was cold & rainy, so I was worried
she'd catch cold. It would have been a good
excuse for me not to go either. But I went by
myself -- in the rain & wind and prayed. It was
wonderful. On the beach, in the elements, I feel
so close to God and just know He is hearing all
of our prayers."

But 40 Days for Life has united the Body of Christ in
prayer far beyond the borders of America!

I've now heard from people in more than 20 other
countries who are fervently praying and fasting for
America during these 40 Days for Life.

In one dramatic example, Carmen Pate -- who is on the
40 Days for Life board -- recently gave a presentation
about 40 Days for Life at a meeting that was also
attended by an influential pastor from Uganda who was
there to speak about church growth in his country.

As Carmen relates:

"I spoke before the pastor, in fact, two presentations
before. When he got up to speak, he said 'I am really
excited to hear about the prayer campaign Carmen
spoke about. I will be telling my churches to join in
prayer.' In the introduction of the pastor, it was
mentioned that there were 37,000 churches under his
watch! How's that for God spreading the word about 40
Days for Life?"

With at least 20 other countries praying for America,
let's be sure to do our part during these 40 days --
through prayer and fasting, peaceful vigil, and
community outreach!

http://www.40daysforlife.com/blog


Here's today's devotional...

*******************************************************
40 DAYS FOR LIFE: DAY 9, OCTOBER 4
Daily Devotional by: Carmen Pate
*******************************************************

INTENTION:

Praise God for His compassion in pardoning our sins and
forgiving our transgressions. Give praise that He
delights in showing mercy.

SCRIPTURE:

"Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing
over the transgressions of the remnant of His heritage?
He does not retain His anger forever, because He
delights in mercy. He will again have compassion on us;
and will subdue our iniquities." -- Micah 7:18-19

REFLECTION:

Micah had been sent to declare God's judgment and call
the people of Judah to repentance. The people had
become spiritually and ethically corrupt. Prosperity
had hardened the rich, the poor were oppressed and the
heirs to David's throne were practicing abominations
and idolatry.

At one point God asked His people what he had done to
deserve the rejection of His covenant, as evidenced by
their wickedness. He reminded the people of Judah that
they would not exist had He not supernaturally redeemed
them from slavery in Egypt. He reminded them of the
events during their wilderness journey that revealed
His righteousness and power.

The people were religiously practicing sacrifice to the
Lord in the delusion that they were appeasing God.
Through Micah, God corrected His people by demanding
justice, not burnt offerings and sacrifice. He told
them to love mercy, and to walk humbly with their God.

Micah conceded that dark days were ahead for Judah, and
he prayed that God would continue to shepherd them,
continue to comfort them, and remain faithful to His
covenant with His people. We know that God was indeed
faithful following the confession and repentance of His
people -- a cycle often repeated.

Is it not easy to see the parallels of God's people in
Micah's day and God's people today in America?

In speaking of Old Testament stories of God's people
turning from God to sin and idolatry, Paul wrote in 1
Corinthians 10: 11, "Now all these things happened to
them as examples, and they were written for our
admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come."

Many biblical scholars believe God has removed His
hedge of protection around our nation in response to
our sins of immorality and abortion.

Praise God that He delights in mercy!

Let us cry out in repentance for His mercy once again.
And may we honor His faithfulness by doing justly,
loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God.

PRAYER:

Heavenly Father, eternal, changeless, and faithful
Lord, we recognize that we are in need of forgiveness
as a nation, for turning our hearts away from you.

Hear our prayer of repentance Lord and cleanse us from
all unrighteousness. We praise you for your tender
mercies and your compassion that never fails.

Lord, it is only by Your grace that we can live lives
that are just, and merciful. May Your Holy Spirit
enable us to walk humbly in Your presence and may You
be pleased to restore America so that a generation not
yet born may praise you.

In the name of Christ Jesus, who has done great things
for us, AMEN.

*******************************************************

Yours For Life,

David Bereit
National Campaign Director
40 Days for Life
3515-B Longmire #316
College Station, TX
77845

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.14.0/1049 - Release Date: 10/4/2007
8:59 AM

No comments: