Friday, August 10, 2007

News Release: 28 Percent of PA Voters Less Like to Support "Gay Rights" Candidate

American Family Association of Pennsylvania




CONTACT:  Diane Gramley  1.814.271.9078 or 1.814.437.5355


28 Percent of PA Voters Less Likely to Support ‘Gay Rights’ Candidate


(Harrisburg) – Tonight six Democratic presidential hopefuls are taking part in a debate sponsored by homosexual groups such as the Human Rights Campaign.  The American Family Association of Pennsylvania (AFA of PA), a statewide traditional values group, noted that yesterday’s release of a Quinnipiac University poll shows that participation in tonight’s debate may actually harm a presidential candidate’s chance of winning in Pennsylvania in November 2008.  All Democratic candidates except Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) and Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT) will participate; additionally no Republican candidate will take part.


“Tonight’s so-called debate is absurd!  The candidates will only deal with one issue – so-called homosexual rights.  What about stem cell research, obscenity, abortion, Iraq?  What is the real purpose of the debate – homosexual money for their campaign coffers?  Apparently the participants are willing to spend their time catering to less than 4% of the American population, what about the other 96% of the country” commented Diane Gramley, president of the AFA of PA.


As Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute said, “Being perceived as the candidate of gay rights turns off more voters than it attracts.”


Yesterday’s Quinnipiac University poll of 1,011 Pennsylvania voters showed that 28% would vote against a candidate that was endorsed by a homosexual rights group while 11% responded that such an endorsement would make them more likely to vote for the candidate.


The poll also showed that 53% of Pennsylvanians view homosexual behavior as morally wrong compared to 34% which view such behavior as morally acceptable.


“If the Democratic presidential candidates are trying to make an impression on Pennsylvania voters by participating in this single-issue debate, they are wasting their time.  Whether the Democrats and homosexual activists want to admit it or not the majority of Americans still hold traditional values and view homosexuality as wrong,” concluded Gramley.


# # #

No comments: